Designer Crafts Connection Blog Hop :: Recycled Magazine Flower Door Decoration
April 01, 2013
Yesterday I spotted my first flower of the season! Wooohooo! Winter is over! In celebration, I wanted to add a bright jolt of
color to my front door. I made this door decoration from recycled magazines and buttons from my stash.
You will need:
Smoothfoam 12" x 1" Disc
Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue Pen
buttons - various sizes, shapes and colors
green acrylic paint
double-faced satin ribbon in green
tape measure or ruler
1. Cut out petals. Carefully cut or tear out magazine pages. As orange is my color-du-jour, I chose pages with that color
plus a few in shades of green. Vertically fold the magazine page in half. Fold it the same way again. With each petal cut,
you will automatically get 3 more due to the folding of the paper. I chose to make my petal round at the top and tapered
at the bottom. If you would rather have a daisy look to your flower, make the top of the petal pointed. The key here is that
each petal has tapered bottom and is approximately 2" tall. For a slightly rustic look and to add a bit more texture, lightly
crumple the petals in your hands.
2. Glue petals to the button. Pinch in the paper at the tapered end of the petal. Add a few dots of glue and place on the
back of the button. Each flower should have 5-6 petals. To keep the buttons from sticking to your craft table, place them on
a piece of aluminum foil and allow to dry.
3. Paint Smoothfoam disc. Squirt some paint onto the foil and paint one side and the edges. Allow to dry. Paint the
other side and allow to dry.
4. Add ribbon loop. Cut a 24" piece of ribbon. Glue ends together. Allow to dry. Glue to top of disc. Allow to dry.
5. Glue down flowers. Arrange the flowers on the disc. Once you are satisfied with the arrangement, add a few dots of
glue to the center of the back of each flower and press into place on the disc. Allow to dry.
For more handmade flower crafting ideas , checkout the work in the Designer Crafts Connection webring wherever you see this logo. Each blog in the hop is written by a designer associated with the Craft and Hobby Assocition. We each have unique styles, so be sure to hop through to see what each is doing with this month's theme!
Love the "wow" factor this piece has! Gorgeous way to reuse magazines!
Posted by: Megggan | April 01, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Great idea! Love the bright colors.
Posted by: Terry Ricioli | April 01, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Great way to recycle and yet have a great deco.
Posted by: Carmen Rubio. | April 06, 2013 at 08:57 PM